Starting at $742.24
As a medication, Abrilada (adalimumab-afzb) would be therapeutically beneficial in treating conditions such as Rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile idiopathic arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, plaque psoriasis, and hidradenitis suppurativa. In these autoimmune conditions, Abrilada reduces pain, inflammation, and skin symptoms.
Abrilada reduces the pain, inflammation, and skin symptoms of these conditions by blocking tumor necrosis factor (TNF), which causes inflammation.
Chronic autoimmune conditions can be treated with Abrilada. Usually, your immune system fights bacteria and viruses that cause diseases. Autoimmune disorders, however, are characterized by hyperactive immune systems that mistakenly attack their tissues, resulting in symptoms. Abrilada reduces autoimmune disorder symptoms by blocking tumor necrosis factor, which causes inflammation in autoimmune disorders.
What Does Abrilada Treat?
The FDA has approved Abrilada for the following purposes:
- In adults with moderate-to-severe rheumatoid arthritis (RA), this medication helps reduce disease symptoms, slow structural damage progression, and improve physical function.
- Treatment of moderately to severely active polyarticular juvenile idiopathic arthritis in children two years and older.
- This treatment is to improve physical function in adults with psoriatic arthritis, reduce the severity of the signs and symptoms, and slow the progression of structural damage.
- The treatment of ankylosing spondylitis in adults is intended to reduce the symptoms of active AS.
- Adults with hidradenitis suppurativa (moderate to severe)
- Adults and children six years and older with moderate to severe Crohn’s disease.
- Adults with chronic moderate to severe ulcerative colitis. The effectiveness of Abrilada products in people who have stopped responding to or cannot tolerate TNF-blockers is unknown.
- Adults with plaque psoriasis in many locations on their bodies may benefit from injections or pills (systemic therapy) or phototherapy (treatment with ultraviolet light alone or in combination with pills).
- Adult patients with non-infectious intermediate, posterior, and panuveitis.
Before Taking Abrilada
Tell your doctor if you have a fever, chills, sweats, muscle aches, tiredness, cough, bloody mucus, skin sores, diarrhea, burning when urinating, or continually tired before taking Abrilada.
Please let your doctor know where you live and if you have recently traveled or plan to travel shortly. Depending on where you live, you may be exposed to infections that are common there.
Abrilada may cause a deadly form of lymphoma (cancer) in the liver, spleen, and bone marrow. Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis are the most common causes of this in teenagers and young men. Lymphoma is more likely to develop in people with inflammatory autoimmune disorders. It would be best if you discussed your own risk with your doctor.
Only FDA-approved conditions should be treated with Abilada in certain age groups. Before starting treatment with Abrilada, all childhood immunizations must be current.
Describe to your doctor any of the following:
- You have tuberculosis (or someone in your household has tuberculosis);
- Chronic infection;
- A cancerous tumor;
- Abilada can cause hepatitis B to come back or get worse);
- People who live in certain parts of the country (such as the Ohio and Mississippi River valleys) are more likely to develop certain types of fungal infections (histoplasmosis, coccidioidomycosis, or blastomycosis). Abrilada may cause these infections or make them worse. In case you are not sure if you have lived in an area where these infections are common, ask your healthcare provider;
- Failure of the heart;
- Numbness or tingling, or nerve-muscle disorders such as multiple sclerosis or Guillain-Barre syndrome;
- If you are scheduled to undergo major surgery,
- If you have recently received a vaccine or are scheduled to receive one.
How To Use Abrilada
Follow your doctor’s instructions exactly when taking Abrilada. Be sure to read your medication guides and instructions before taking any medication. Follow the directions on Abrilada strictly.
Subcutaneous injections of Abilada are performed using a prefilled pen or syringe.
Depending on the severity of your condition and the dose schedule for Abrilada, the recommended dose will vary. Please make sure you follow your doctor’s instructions carefully when it comes to dosing.
To properly use this medicine on your own, you will be taught how to do so by your healthcare provider. You must understand the instructions for proper use before using Abrilada. If you have any questions, please feel free to talk to your doctor or contact us and we can arrange for one of our licensed pharmacists to reach out to you.
Abrilada should not be used if you have any signs of infection. Please have a look at your doctor for instructions.
When you are ready, prepare your injection. Abrilada should not be used if it looks cloudy, has changed color, or has particles.
It is recommended that you let the prefilled pen or prefilled syringe sit at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes to allow them to warm up. Heat sources such as hot water or microwave should not be used to warm the Prefilled Syringe.
It is not a good idea to shake your pen. Medicine can be damaged by shaking.
Decide where to inject. Besides the 2 in (5 cm) around the belly button (navel), you can inject it into the front of your thighs and abdomen. Each time you give an injection, rotate the injection site. At least one inch (3 cm) should separate each new injection site from the previous one. Inject only when the skin is not red, hard, tender, damaged, bruised, or scarred, and do not inject through clothing.
Your immune system may be affected by Abilada, making you more likely to contract infections, even serious ones. Your doctor must examine you regularly.
Needles and syringes should be used only once and placed in a puncture-proof “sharps” container. Dispose of this container according to state or local laws. Pets and children should not have access to it.
Side Effects Of Abrilada
As your body becomes accustomed to the medication, side effects may decrease. If you continue to experience these symptoms or if they worsen, please notify your healthcare provider right away.
Serious Side Effects
If you experience the following symptoms, please contact your healthcare provider immediately.
- Fever, cough, weight loss, muscle aches, dark urine, chills, and vomiting are all symptoms of a severe infection
- Blood cell counts are low when you have a fever that won’t go away, bruising or bleeding easily, and pale skin.
- An allergic reaction can cause hives, a rash, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, eyes, lips, or mouth.
- There are several symptoms of heart failure, including shortness of breath, swelling in the legs, ankles, or feet, irregular heartbeat, fatigue, and sudden weight gain.
- Symptoms of liver disease include vomiting, yellow skin or eyes, stomach pain, and fatigue.
Common Side Effects
- Reaction at the injection site
- Infection of the upper respiratory tract
- Symptoms of headaches
- Symptoms of sinus inflammation
- Injuries caused by accidents
- Infection of the urinary tract (UTI) or bladder
Other Side Effects
- A high cholesterol level
- Pain in the back
- Pain in the stomach
- Blood in the urine
- Symptoms of the flu
Age, severity, and condition treated determine Abrilada’s dose and frequency.
The following forms of Abrilada are available:
- Abrilada pen (40 mg/0.8 mL)
- Single-dose prefilled glass syringe (40 mg/0.8 mL, 20 mg/0.4 mL, 10 mg/0.2 mL)
- Single-dose glass vial for institutional use only (40 mg/0.8 mL).
Keep a calendar of when your doses of Abrilada (adalimumab) are due to help you remember to take them. Don’t forget to inject a dose if you miss one. Take your next dose at your regular schedule.
Abrilada is not known to harm unborn babies. Whenever you become pregnant or plan to become pregnant, inform your doctor. It is essential to tell your doctor before your baby receives any vaccines if you used this medicine during pregnancy.
Breastfeeding a baby while using Abrilada may be unsafe. You should speak with your doctor about any risks and the best way to feed your baby while taking this medication.
It should be stored in its original carton in a refrigerator between 36°F and 46°F (2°C and eight °C).
Keep away from freezing. It should not be used if it has become frozen, even after it has thawed.
Keep your medications safely stored during travel if you’re traveling.
Be careful not to shake.
Extremes of heat or cold should be avoided.
It is also possible to store syringes at room temperature for up to 30 days if necessary, such as when traveling. Protect Abrilada from light by keeping it in the original carton until use. If Abrilada has not been used within 30 days after being stored at room temperature, discard it. On the syringe carton, note the date you first removed syringes from the refrigerator.
In case of cloudy, discolored flakes or particle-containing liquids, do not use prefilled syringes. Abrilada should not be dropped or crushed. Prefilled syringes are made of glass.
Abrilada Cost & Coupons
Abrilada is a biosimilar to Humira and Humira is one of the most expensive medications in the United States. Abrilada has a lower price tag and some patients may find it as a suitable replacement.
Insulin Outlet provides Americans with discounted Abrilada through your prescription fulfillment service. You can save 10% on your first order of Abrilada, by using the discount code welcome10 at checkout.