120 caps for $4,789.00
Xtandi, also known by its generic name enzalutamide, is a prescription medicine primarily utilized for the treatment of advanced prostate cancer. This type of cancer often becomes resistant to traditional hormone therapy, leading to the need for alternative solutions. Xtandi belongs to a class of drugs called androgen receptor inhibitors, and it operates by targeting and inhibiting the action of androgens, which are male hormones that fuel the growth of prostate cancer cells.
This medication is specifically designed to address cases of metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC). This advanced form of cancer occurs when cancer cells continue to grow even in the absence of testosterone, a hormone typically suppressed in prostate cancer treatment. Xtandi offers hope to individuals facing mCRPC, providing them with an effective means of managing the disease’s progression.
The mechanism behind Xtandi’s effectiveness lies in its ability to interfere with the androgen signaling pathway. Prostate cancer cells thrive on androgens, which stimulate their growth. Xtandi works by binding to the androgen receptors on these cells, preventing androgens from attaching and thereby inhibiting the signals that drive cancer cell growth. This targeted approach curtails the cancer’s ability to spread and helps manage its progression.
It is important to inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have any allergies to enzalutamide.There is a possibility that this product may contain inactive ingredients that can cause allergic reactions or other problems.
Your doctor or pharmacist should be informed of your medical history before taking this medication, particularly if you have high blood pressure, seizures, or risk factors for seizures (such as brain injuries, strokes, brain tumors), heart disease (such as angina/chest pain, heart attack), diabetes, high cholesterol, high triglycerides in your blood, falls, or broken bones.
Due to the possibility that this medication may rarely trigger seizures in some individuals, ask your doctor if you should avoid activities that could result in a sudden loss of consciousness.
There is a possibility that this drug may cause dizziness. Dizziness may be exacerbated by the consumption of alcohol or marijuana (cannabis). Do not drive, operate machinery, or perform any activity that requires alertness until you are able to do so safely. Limit the consumption of alcoholic beverages. You should consult your physician if you are using marijuana (cannabis).
You should inform your doctor or dentist of all the products you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products).
A man who has a pregnant partner should use a condom during and after treatment with enzalutamide. Men with a female partner of childbearing age who is not expecting a child should use a condom and another form of birth control during enzalutamide treatment. This should be done for 3 months after treatment stops. Ask your doctor for more details. If your partner becomes pregnant or thinks she may be so, tell your doctor right away.
Xtandi offers hope to many battling prostate cancer, but it’s vital to approach its usage with caution. Please note, this tab does not provide every warning and precaution for Xtandi.
Here’s a detailed look at the key warnings and precautions:
Xtandi usage has been associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular events such as heart attacks and strokes. It’s imperative to disclose your medical history, including any heart conditions, to your healthcare provider before starting Xtandi. Regular monitoring and preventive measures can help mitigate these risks.
Rare instances of seizures have been reported among individuals taking Xtandi. If you have a history of seizures or are on medications that lower the seizure threshold, consult your doctor. They can evaluate the benefits versus risks of Xtandi for your specific situation.
Falls and Fractures
Some patients on Xtandi have experienced an increased risk of falls and fractures. This could be due to muscle weakness or balance issues. Taking precautions, such as using mobility aids and exercising caution, can reduce the likelihood of accidents.
Central Nervous System Effects
Xtandi might lead to cognitive changes, including confusion and memory problems. If you notice any such symptoms, promptly inform your healthcare provider. They can assess whether these effects are related to the medication or require further investigation.
In rare cases, Xtandi can cause severe allergic reactions. If you experience difficulty breathing, rash, itching, or swelling, seek medical attention immediately. Your doctor will determine the appropriate course of action.
Xtandi affects androgen receptors, which could lead to hormonal imbalances. Regular hormone level monitoring is crucial to ensure the treatment’s effectiveness and address any arising issues promptly.
Xtandi may impact liver function, leading to elevated liver enzyme levels. Regular liver function tests are recommended to monitor any abnormalities and take timely action.
Some patients have reported vision changes while on Xtandi. If you experience blurred vision or any visual disturbances, consult your healthcare provider. They can evaluate whether the medication is the cause and recommend appropriate steps.
Xtandi, a breakthrough in prostate cancer treatment, can bring about various side effects. These effects can vary from person to person, and it’s important to stay informed. Below, we’ll cover the common, rare, and severe side effects of Xtandi.
Common Side Effects
● Fatigue: Feeling tired is a common side effect that many patients experience during Xtandi treatment.
● Hot Flashes: Men taking Xtandi might experience sudden waves of heat and sweating, known as hot flashes.
● Back Pain: Some patients report mild to moderate back pain as a side effect.
● Joint Pain: Xtandi can sometimes cause joint pain or discomfort.
Rare Side Effects
● Seizures: In rare cases, Xtandi has been associated with seizures. If you experience any unusual neurological symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.
● Allergic Reactions: Some individuals may have allergic reactions to Xtandi, such as rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, or trouble breathing.
● Mood Changes: Xtandi might lead to mood swings or changes in behavior.
Severe Side Effects
● Cardiovascular Issues: Xtandi may increase the risk of heart problems, so any chest pain or irregular heartbeats should be taken seriously.
● Liver Problems: Severe liver issues are possible, with symptoms like yellowing of the skin or eyes, dark urine, or persistent nausea.
● Lung Issues: Xtandi can cause lung inflammation, leading to symptoms like cough, difficulty breathing, or chest pain.
There is a possibility that drug interactions may alter the way your medications work or increase your risk of experiencing serious side effects. This webpage does not contain all possible drug interactions. Provide your doctor with a list of all the products you are using (including prescription medications, nonprescription medications, and herbal supplements). You should not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medication without consulting your physician.
You should be aware that other medications may affect the removal of enzalutamide from your body, which may affect its effectiveness. A few examples include seizure medications (such as phenobarbital and phenytoin), as well as St. John’s wort.
Taking enzalutamide can cause other medications to be removed more quickly from your body, which may have an adverse effect on their effectiveness. A number of drugs are affected, including asunaprevir, cobicistat, ergot alkaloids (such as dihydroergotamine, ergotamine), fentanyl, lurasidone, pimozide, quinidine, sirolimus, suvorexant, tacrolimus, voriconazole, and others.
Common Drugs with Potential Interactions
● Anti-Coagulants: Xtandi’s interaction with anticoagulants like Warfarin can increase the risk of bleeding. Close monitoring and dose adjustments may be necessary.
● Anti-Seizure Medications: Certain antiepileptic drugs can lower the concentration of Xtandi in the blood, reducing its effectiveness. Consult your doctor for alternatives or dosage adjustments.
● Strong CYP2C8 Inhibitors: Drugs that inhibit the enzyme CYP2C8 can elevate Xtandi levels, leading to increased side effects. Dosage adjustments might be needed.
● Strong CYP3A4 Inducers: Medications that induce CYP3A4 can lower Xtandi levels, potentially impacting its efficacy. Your healthcare provider can guide you on managing this interaction.
Finding the right dosage is crucial to optimizing the benefits of Xtandi while minimizing potential side effects. Dosages can vary based on individual patient factors, so close consultation with a healthcare professional is essential. Please follow your prescribers advice when it comes to dosing. If you want to change your dose, please reach out to your prescriber immediately. It is essential that you always follow their advice.
● Initial Dosage: The standard starting dose of Xtandi is 160 mg (four 40 mg capsules) taken orally once daily.
● Continuation of Treatment: Once treatment begins, it’s important to continue the prescribed dosage as directed by a healthcare provider. Regular check-ins and adjustments may be necessary based on the patient’s response.